Ex Prime Minister of Crimea believes that the situation on the peninsula was eroded by the Mejlis prior to the annexation

Crimean Tatars Flag

The last Ukrainian Prime Minister of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea Anatoly Mogilev blames the Crimean Tatar People Mejlis for destabilizing the situation on the peninsula on the eve of Russia’s annexation.

“Crimea was quiet when Maidan roared in Kyiv. We coped with the situation until the last days, the authorities were working normally. But the Mejlis started to hold its rallies, demanding to appoint all the leaders of Crimea by the only agreement with the Mejlis. But consider a little nuance: Crimean Tatars are 13 percent in Crimea, while the remaining Slavs, Jews, Greeks, and so on are 87 percent,” said Mogilev in an interview with the Gordon edition.

He claims that the population of Crimea was frightened of “the radical speeches of the Crimean Tatar people leaders, and this was one of the factors that resulted in the aggressor won over the population”. “At that, how the Ukrainian authorities can be surprised at the non-resistance by locals to the annexation? By the way, I don’t think Kiev gains traction with Crimeans, promising to create a Crimean Tatar autonomy on the peninsula,” he added.

In addition, Mogilev accused Mejlis of separatism. “Why is Mejlis still not registered in the Ministry of Justice? Because the Declaration of the Crimean Tatar people contains an interesting phrase that the Mejlis aims to create an independent and sovereign State of Crimean Tatars on the territory of Crimea, and this is contrary to the Constitution of Ukraine. The separatism of Donetsk and Lugansk is a Sunday-school picnic, compared with such policy statements. By the way, we have Lenur Islyamov as the leader of Crimean Tatar people. But, for some reason, nobody remembers that he had worked in the new Russian Government of Crimea for a month or two. This is the pure unadulterated collaborationism! I do not think that such double approaches make positive impact on the image of Ukraine,” he said.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.


*